Monday, April 12, 2010

SEN. DAVE BRASWELL - I SUPPORT SCHOOL CHOICE

From the desk of State Senator David Braswell;

I support school choice. I believe in allowing parents to choose to send their children to charter schools, private schools, home schools, virtual schools and, public schools. I support failing third graders that cannot pass the reading portion of the AIMS. I support allowing students that pass all sections of the AIMS test in their sophomore year to attend community college their junior and senior year full time.


I will support vouchers for our children as long as the voucher program promotes competition between public and private schools and is fairly applied to all parents including those that pay property taxes and middle and high income wage earners. I do not support gimmick voucher proposals. The Arizona Supreme Court has determined that vouchers are constitutional under certain circumstances. These voucher programs primarily benefit only children of lower socio economic backgrounds. This is not fair to parents paying property taxes of all income levels.


The legislation that I was recently asked to vote on in the senate education committee, concerned me. The proposed legislation required that “qualified students” of “failing public schools” be allowed to attend a private school using a public school voucher. It further proposed to transfer a lesser amount of the public school “student formula funding” dollars to a private school, allowing the public school to keep the remaining balance after the child had withdrawn to attend the private school.

Furthermore, the legislation did not adequately detail what would happen to the student if and when a public school ever improved and was no longer rated a “failing school”. These issues
must be addressed. Consequently, I voted NO on the legislation.


It still has a way to go before becoming law and I hope to discuss these issues with the bills sponsor.

David Braswell, State Senator
Legislative District Six

602-926-5284
dbraswell@azleg.gov

Join Senator Dave Braswell on Facebook & Twitter!

1 comment:

Tony GOPrano said...

BRAVO SEN BRASWELL! Well said. Your command of the issues is even being noticed by your fellow Senate members.

People I have spoken to tell me they are really impressed with your knowledge of the issues.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised when you are re-elected that you will be asked to be part of Senate Leadership.

Keep Up The Great Work Senator!