Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Republican Fight Club- Win With Message

by Gayle Plato



Revamp, Retool, Rebrand= Republican

I’ve written of this and talked myself dry mouth at social clink-cupper chats. Sitting in workshops, listening to the top-downers lecture the future of the party and the past trunk draggers; I know we are a bunch of shucked nuts set out to feed the elephant. What is the goal of every Republican? Does anyone have a clue?

I wanted to yak my sack of nuts when our speaker smacked down the thought of revamping the message. He started in on the troop rally cry: don’t let go of our conservative principles. Um, DUH, no. But how about getting the wrinkles out of the thin skin we have these days?

We lost, get over it. Oh, and the winner, he’s cocky and likes to point out that he won. Who cares? Get off of them and let’s get us back in the game. Half time is over, no more fluid breaks and iced muscles. Quit grumbling, and getting up in ripped shirt, bloodied chin beat-down mode. This isn’t Fight Club, Tyler Durden, oh and BTW, Brad Pitt doesn’t make good foreign policy.

Mr. Michael Steele, I have an odd proposal. Let’s write revolutionary language marching order talking points. Let’s get really calm and present tight writing, clear words anyone can get.

TWO IDEAS:

Get Rid Of the Party Platform



This sucker is approximately 60 pages long, no one in the party reads it other than the dweebs who wrote it and the handful of delegates who actually vote. The preamble alone is so poorly written, boring, and pretentious; I don’t even want to look at it again or my peanuts will rise up.

Write the entire platform as a Five Point Mission Statement filled with action words and innovative style. Take classic values and make them edicts anyone can grab, hold on to, and learn to love. Put the entire bullet point platform on an index card.

Offer interactive discussions on the website spoken by a mix of real and well known republicans explaining the bullets. Offer depth to the key edicts.

Brand Every Candidate and Major Publication

Get a few key words, a logo, and colors, fonts EVERY SINGLE candidate uses as a base to all ads. It will be obvious who is on our team. It’s like a sports logo, it’s a Nike Swish. Keep it simple and put words in that anyone understands.

Say it with real words: Not fiscal policy, talk of money in or out of our pockets; don’t say limited government, say government that stays out of your business, keeps it’s hands out of your till; don’t tell me of infrastructure and community building, share with me how my home and my family will be secure right here in my neighborhood.

I want to belong, to feel like the GOP gets me and my family. I want limited government but I want to know WHAT that means- keep out of my life and keep helping me grow as an entrepreneur, investor, and leader of my community. I want to stay here with my family and know that this hard work, pile of bills, community, are worth something. I feel like I matter in it and I will be here when I get old. I want to believe and I want to fight for the good side. Mainly, don't lie to me, pander, or fake me out. I know the difference.

4 comments:

Tony GOPrano said...

Brilliant post Gayle! The RNC should take this and use as the basis for the 2010 campaign. Whether or not some of the 'dinosaurs' will approve, that is the question.

Anonymous said...

Great post. Let's hope it can happen.

Dutch said...

Excellent Post!
GOP publications and pronouncements still sound as if they are the direct from the boardroom.
We need stuff that sounds more like what you hear at the water cooler or break room.
KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) worked quite well for Reagan, even as the Elite snobs in the media made fun of him for it. Funny, but isn't that exactly what we saw against Sarah Palin?
Is we learning, yet?

Gayle said...

Thanks, especially to TG as I think it was a freudian slip to say do lie v. don't lie--in a way the sarcasm worked... fixed it. Am typo queen..