Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Statement by Governor Brewer regarding Supreme Court Hearing on SB 1070

Statement by Governor Brewer



U.S. Supreme Court Hears SB 1070 Arguments




PHOENIX – "Today, more than two years after I signed SB 1070 into law, the State of Arizona had its opportunity to defend this measure before the United States Supreme Court. Many people never gave us a chance to get this far, and it is only due to the continuing support and encouragement of the American people that it was possible.


"Of course, we likely will not know the Court's decision for weeks. But I am filled with optimism – the kind that comes with knowing that Arizona's cause is just and its course is true.


"On the day I signed SB 1070, I called it ‘another tool for our state to use as we work to solve a crisis we did not create and the federal government has refused to fix.’ Those words still hold true – as I was reminded last week when I returned to the border to visit law enforcement and ranchers who live and work in southeastern Arizona.

”Their message: The job of securing the border is not done, not so long as drugs and humans continue to be smuggled north in large numbers at the direction of violent cartels and armed gangs. As Governor, I have a duty to uphold the Constitution and a responsibility to protect the people of Arizona. With SB 1070, I am confident we can do both.”



###


No comments: