Thursday, April 26, 2012

McCain courts Bloomberg for Mitt - By MAGGIE HABERMAN - Politico.com



Sen. John McCain, a relatively early Mitt Romney backer, visited New York's City Hall yesterday to try to convince Mike Bloomberg to get behind the Republican, the NY Post reports:







“I just came in to pay my respects to the mayor. He and I are old friends from many years back,” McCain told The Post as he left City Hall. “I told him that I just spent last weekend with Romney and I thought that Romney was on message . . . and tried to convince the mayor that we’ve got a winning campaign.”





McCain and Bloomberg have been friends for years - the Arizona senator endorsed the mayor in his initial 2001 race - and in 2008, the mayor was considered by the then-GOP nominee as a potential ticketmate. Bloomberg, having decided against a run himself, could end up making his voice heard with an endorsement, and he's made clear privately to many people he doesn't think highly of the job President Obama has done. But it seems unlikely, if he decides to weigh in, that it will happen anytime sono.

No comments: