Friday, March 11, 2011

Ben Affleck Teams Up with Cindy McCain for Effort in Congo - By Fox10 News

Ben Affleck Teams Up with Cindy McCain for Effort in Congo: MyFoxPHOENIX.com


CLICK HERE TO SEE THE VIDEO!


Published : Thursday, 10 Mar 2011, 9:35 PM MST


PHOENIX - Northern Africa is making a lot of news lately with the people's revolutions in Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya. But go further south to a country called Congo -- there is much need, but little attention, until now.


They're an unlikely pair, from opposite sides of the political spectrum. Actor Ben Affleck and
Arizona's own Cindy McCain are teaming up to bring care to Congo.


Cindy says it all started with what she thought was a prank phone call.


"I didn't believe it. I thought my kids were messing around with me. I did," she told FOX 10. It wasn't a joke, actually the start of something very important to both Affleck and McCain.

"He called me and said I'd really like to talk to you about the work you're doing in Congo," she recalls. "I travelled with him and not only did I discover someone who is extraordinarily intelligent on this issue alone, but understands the region far better than anybody I've ever talked to."


Fast forward to Tuesday -- Affleck and McCain speaking on Capitol Hill about Congo's problems -- war, rape, abuse, food shortage.
"I wanted to surround myself with smart thoughtful philanthropists and people who got it and everybody who knows something about this knows how long Mrs. McCain has been on this... she was in Goma in 1994," said Ben Affleck to Congress members.

She and Affleck didn't ask Congress to send money to Congo. Their organization is all about donations. But they do hope for the U.S. to have a diplomatic presence there.


"An envoy will bring the necessary world attention we need into the area. And by doing that now… we can perhaps stop a disaster that would be a huge humanitarian disaster or crisis that would cost billions down the road," Cindy McCain told us.

Cindy has been doing this stuff before Hollywood got involved.


"I respect and admire Mr. Affleck in a way. This is not someone who parachutes in for a photo op. This is a guy that works as hard or harder than anybody else. He's been going there for 5 or 6 years now," she told us.


Cindy has travelled the world helping bring awareness to landmine removal efforts. Congo is a country that many have given up on, and she told Congress why it means so much to her.


"Africa has haunted me in a good way. I keep coming back. I see such hope there. I see possibilities. I know with the help of Ben Affleck and others that we can make a difference."


Cindy McCain plans to travel back to Congo to observe the elections there in November. A freely-elected government, she believes, will be a good start to bring about the needed change.


To learn more or donate: www.easterncongo.org

No comments: