Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Today in the Washington Examiner September 7, 2010




In early November 2009, as the fight over Obamacare threatened to stretch all the way to New Years, I discussed the battle with a well-connected Democratic strategist. He wanted health care to pass, but he was eager for President Obama to turn his attention to the issues Americans cared about most: the economy and federal spending. "As soon as health care reform is over, he needs to pivot hard to becoming a deficit and spending hawk and a jobs creator," the strategist told me.


Of course, the health care fight didn't end quickly.



In my August 23 Examiner column I wrote, “The 2009 stimulus package is so unpopular that Democrats have banned the word from their campaign vocabulary. ‘I’m not supposed to call it stimulus,’ Rep. Barney Frank told the Daily Show’s Jon Stewart. ‘The message experts in Washington have told us that we’re supposed to call it the recovery plan.’” Chairman Frank, whom I’ve known and admired since I was in college, writes and says that I misinterpreted his comment. I’m not sure he’s right, but I’m not sure the point is worth quibbling about. So let me quote the text of his letter and let readers decide.


When Gallup recently showed an historic 10 percent lead for Republicans on their generic ballot question among registered voters, people sat up and took notice. Well, if you screen for likely voters, as they did in this Washington Post poll, the GOP lead grows to a 13 point advantage:

The floods that have left more than 20 million Pakistanis destitute have also left the ground fertile for Islamic extremists who are hoping to use the crisis to create more recruits for their struggle against the government of President Asif Ali Zardari, Pakistan’s ambassador to the United States Husain Haqqani told The Washington Examiner.

Here we go again.

Jeremy Stoppel, 16, mounted two 3'x5' flags on his Ford pickup truck in the tradition of his father and brother to show his American pride, to salute a cousin currently serving in the U.S. Navy, and to honor the upcoming anniversary of 9/11.


More Stories




No comments: