Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bill Konopnicki has voted and worked to represent the people of District 5



I have watched with disappointment as the primary race for state senator from District 5 has become so negative. It is beginning to symbolize to me all that is wrong with politics in America today. However, one thing above all disturbs me. I read a piece of Sylvia Allen’s campaign literature where she castigates Bill Konopnicki for working with Democrats while touting that she has held the Republican line 100 percent of the time.



Even though I am a lifelong Republican, I find this offensive.



Our district has been represented by Jack Brown for a number of years. I believe he is a good man who has sought to do what is best for the rural areas of eastern Arizona. He also happens to be a Democrat. I know that Bill Konopnicki has worked closely with him many times, just as the late Jake Flake did, to provide the best representation possible for the people of our district. To them, it has not mattered what party they belonged to, but rather what they could do for the people they represent.


Meanwhile, Republicans have controlled our State Legislature for more than a decade. The majority of elected Republicans in our State Legislature come from the urban areas of our state. As the economic situation in our state has deteriorated, I have heard them claim it is former Governor Napolitano’s fault, but the reality is that they have held majorities in both houses. I mention this only to suggest that following any one party’s views 100-percent of the time does not guarantee success. I would hope that our representatives, whether Republican or Democrat, would analyze every issue and vote in the best interests of us, their constituents.



I believe Bill Konopnicki has tried to do that. By touting 100%-percent loyalty to a metropolitan Republican agenda, I believe Sylvia Allen has not.



To take it one step further, when the state moved to close Roper Lake, who was there working to keep it open? When budgetary votes were taken that had the potential to gut education and health care in rural Arizona, who voted in favor of us, the people who live in rural Arizona? When the Graham County Chamber of Commerce held a breakfast for all candidates to come and talk to us about the issues, who showed and who begged off?


In my opinion, time and again, Bill Konopnicki has voted and worked to represent the people of District 5, even if it meant working or siding with Democrats. When I vote in this upcoming primary, I am going to remember that. I want to vote for someone who is going to represent rural Arizona, not the views of metropolitan Republicans.They have
enough representation as it is.



Sincerely,
Ryan Rapier
Thatcher



No comments: