Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Truth About Bob Lord


From: John Shadegg

To: John Shadegg Friends & Supporters

RE: The Truth About Bob Lord / Appeal for Online Donations

Please forward this e-mail to as many of your friends as possible My opponent is running thousands of ads distorting and misrepresenting my record. They are absolutely false.

Now, the Democratic Campaign Congressional Committee (DCCC), and Nancy Pelosi's liberal colleagues in Congress are spending staggering sums to beat me. They are on pace to spend over $2.1 million T.V. and have sent 4 direct mail pieces attacking me. They are running 4 - 5 ads for every 1 we can afford. The truth about their distortions of my record appears below.*



Please Contribute Now

I am writing is to ask you to immediately contribute $25 - $15 - $10, or whatever you can afford, to my campaign today. Every donation of any amount will help us respond immediately to these attacks and get out the truth. There are just 25 days until this most critical election.

The DCCC has $54 million on hand today. Our side, the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC), has only $14 million. The NRCC won't be able to help me, so we have to fight back on our own. Please go online right now and make a donation of whatever you can afford to:
www.johnshadegg.com.

Click on the "contribute" button in the upper right hand portion of the website. Or, you can go directly to the contribute link at:

https://www240.ssldomain.com/johnshadegg/contribute/secure.cfm

Even more important, please help me start a chain mail fundraising effort today by forwarding this email to 10 of your friends or as many more as you can. Please ask them to contribute today as well.

No amount is too small.

Don't put this off; please go to your address book or type in the e-mail addresses of 10 of your closest friends and family and hit "forward." They don't need to live in the District, they don't even need to live in the state!

This election is bigger than Congressional District 3. This election is about independent, conservative leadership and our shared values. It's about standing up to liberal interests that lie and try to buy elections.

*Bob Lord's Distortions

Here is the truth about some of the lies they are using to try to defeat me. Please, please, please take a few minutes to read these facts. You will find them stunning.

" I have never voted against a combat bonus for our troops. I voted not to fund a bonus that required reducing the Reconstruction Funds which help keep our troops alive. I voted against this Democrat amendment - designed to force us out of Iraq - because soldiers, including a Democrat Congressman, Jim Marshall of Georgia, who served in Vietnam, explained that cutting these funds would discourage the Iraqi people from helping us and telling us where Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) are hidden. IEDs have killed and injured more of our troops than any other weapon in Iraq.

Cutting these funds would have further risked our soldiers lives. A Marine who served in Iraq told me, "a bonus is of no value if an IED kills you." Intentionally misleading."

Contrary to Lord's false ad, I voted for the troop healthcare benefits Lord says I opposed. I voted for those benefits in a bill that was signed into law.

The bill Lord cites was described by Nancy Pelosi as "a historic vote to force the United States out of Iraq" last March. It would have meant defeat and failure for us in Iraq even after the surge had begun to work. The President announced he would veto it and did.

Mr. Lord doesn't tell you I voted for the healthcare benefits in a subsequent bill which became law. Deceit."

I have never said, "Washington changed me." Bob Lord knows it! I would never say that; Washington hasn't changed me and never will.

What I said was, "Washington changed us," referring to the Republican majority which abandoned principle and voted for
bigger government. My guess is you are as angry as I am at those
Republicans who abandoned principle.

His ad states, "Shadegg admits Washington changed him." That's just false. " I have never said that it is my "duty to support [my] Party over anything else." Nor have I ever put "party over principle."

Two of Lord's ads repeat this false claim. In my first term, I opposed our party leadership so often they denied me the committee assignment they promised. I have opposed President Bush on excess spending, "No Child Left Behind," and the Transportation Bill that included the "Bridge to Nowhere."

I was one of only 8 Members of Congress to vote against that bill.

The ad by Lord, and the national Democrats, intentionally twists a quote from my race for Majority Leader in 2006. In a Hill story I acknowledged that if I was elected Majority Leader, I would have to support the party position. Ironically, the reporter asked the question precisely because I have been so independent and so principled throughout my entire career. Intentional Distortion."

I did not vote to raise my pay nine times as Mr. Lord deceitfully claims. I have never voted for a Congressional pay raise! I have voted against Congressional pay raises 11 times. Mr. Lord cites procedural votes dealing with the automatic cost of living adjustment (COLA) enacted into law before I was elected to Congress. Misrepresentation.

Lord claims I voted to deny 82,000 Arizona children health insurance.
Not true. Liberal Democrats in Washington proposed to expand the government SCHIP health program.
This is government run healthcare, not insurance.
Democrats wanted to expand a program that had already been grossly abused. In Arizona, SCHIP funds were used to put 85,000 childless adults into government healthcare. You read that right: childless adults. A program designed to help moderate-income, uninsured children had been used to pay for childless adults.

This is a perfect example of how Bob Lord would expand government. He believes - and he would have voted - to expand
a government program sold to Americans as providing healthcare for uninsured children when, in fact, the funds were being used to put childless adults on government healthcare.

I hope you will use this information to set the record straight and refute Bob Lord's grossly false claims. Again, I sincerely hope you will help me start a huge fundraising chain and set the record straight so we can refute their unfair attacks and win on November 4th!

With sincere thanks, John Shadegg

P.S. You can mail a contribution to our campaign at:
"John Shadegg's Friends"
P.O. Box 45444
Phoenix, AZ 85064

We also need volunteers and hope you will put a sign in your yard. We are located at: 1130 E. Missouri, Suite #111, Phoenix, AZ 85014. We can be reached at (602) 235-9704.

No comments: